Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fall Skin Care

by Gina Thompson


I know if it’s been a good summer, I will be paying the price in the fall. All of these hot, summer days have been wonderful, but the sun can certainly leave a lasting impression that can age the skin. I generally change a few things in my routine as the fall season arrives that boost hydration, increase cell turnover and minimize pigmentation. Here are some of my favorite products and treatments for the fall.

SkinCeuticals CE Ferulic is a powerful antioxidant solution that protects against environmental aging and helps create more youthful looking skin. It contains a synergistic antioxidant combination as well as essential lipids to enhance the skin’s barrier function. I always use an antioxidant, but this one is my choice for fall because of its ability to protect and hydrate the skin. Great combination!  

GlyMed Plus Treatment Cream has been around for many years and continues to be a staple in my skin care routine. It is a perfect solution for drier skin that needs exfoliation as well as hydration. The Treatment Cream contains glycolic acid for cell turnover and rich emollients to moisturize dry skin. My skin loves this luxurious cream in the fall.

Epiquin Micro is an active treatment product that contains hydroquinone for skin lightening and vitamin A for exfoliation. Hydroquinone is one of the most effective ingredients for minimizing pigmentation and I like to use Epiquin Micro every fall to erase the signs of the summer sun. It always makes a difference.  

Microdermabrasion is a popular skin care treatment that provides superficial exfoliation. When paired with a light chemical peel, it is a perfect solution to resurface and brighten the skin. After a summer of sun exposure and sunscreen use, I like to treat myself to a microdermabrasion treatment. It feels like I am erasing the damage of the summer sun and my skin feels so clean and refreshed afterwards.

 IPL (Intense Pulse Light) Photo Facials are a great answer for very stubborn pigmentation. A series of 4 or more treatments is recommended for best results to treat red (broken capillaries) and brown (pigmentation). IPL is not recommended during the summer months since we cannot treat skin that is tan. Fall is the perfect time of year to treat that unwanted pigmentation and I have lots of clients who come in for a maintenance treatment (or two) or begin their series of photo facials in September or October.

Your fall skin care program may require some changes, but it usually isn’t complicated. If you are unsure feel free to discuss it with us at your next skin care visit. We look forward to seeing you.

No comments:

Post a Comment